List of Must-Reads Related to Law and Tech
Here is some spring reading. Every six months for the past couple of years, I publish a post that lists the top updates in virtual law practice and links out to the news, events and articles over that time period. Well, virtual law practice has gone more mainstream and curating all of that content is way more time consuming and difficult to narrow down.
So instead, here are the top articles that have come out in the past six months that I think any virtual practitioner should read. Most deal with the future of law practice, but others are practical advice on security and tech issues. I use Twitter as my reader these days so I know I’ve missed a few. They are in no particular order. I’m purposefully not putting the great law school reform/legal jobs debate in here.
- Jordan Furlong, The Evolution of the Legal Services Market, five part series on Law21.
- V. Mary Abraham, What Technologists Can Teach Lawyers on Legal Technology Today.
- David R. Johnson, Serving Justice with Conversational Law, for the World Future Society
- Ron Friedmann, A New Model Law Firm: A Closer Look at Clearspire, two part post on Prism Legal.
- Ron Friedmann, The Current State and Future of Big Law Online Legal Services , on Prism Legal.
- Richard Susskind, Tomorrow’s Lawyers: An Introduction to Your Future, Oxford Press (2013).
- Dan Katz recaps the coverage of the ReInvent Law Conference in Silicon Valley on his Computational Legal Studies blog. Hopefully videos of the talks will be posted soon.
- Dan Katz, Quantitative Legal Prediction – or – How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Start Preparing for the Data Driven Future of the Legal Services Industry, Emory Law Journal, Vol. 62, 2013 on SSRN.
-Law Society of British Columbia’s Cloud Computing Checklist
- Sharon Nelson and John Simek, Through a Glass, Darkly: The Future of Court Technology, on Slaw.
- John Gregory, Crowdsourced Online Dispute Resolution on Slaw.
- Dave Einstein, Big Data in Law: Cloud Challenge, Analytics Opportunity, on Forbes.
- V. Mary Abraham, Improve Your Legal Practice Through Gamification, in Law Technology Today
- Donna Seyle, eLawyering in an Age of Accelerating Technology, ABA GP/Solo Report (January 2013)
- Using Technology to Enhance Access to Justice, Harvard Journal of Law & Technology, Volume 26, Number 1 Fall 2012
- Dennis Kennedy, Thirteen Mobile Collaboration Tips for 2013, Law Practice Today (January 2013)